Wednesday, 9 October 2019

Day 12 - Wednesday 9th October

Today we would be leaving Perth and driving to Margaret River for a few days. So we set our alarms for 7am.

Yesterday, when I was walking around the streets of Perth, I noticed a restaurant in the same block as our QT Hotel called Miss Maud. It had a European theme and specialised in pastries. They have smorgasbord buffet meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

It looked good and it turned out to be a great choice. They had plenty of options - pastries, fruit, juices, eggs, sausages, tomatoes, hash browns, coffee, etc. The staff were friendly and efficient. Just what I needed.

We checked out after 9:30am and they arranged a taxi to take us to the Avis city depot which is located at the other end of the city. We were there on time at 10am. The car I'd booked was a Hyundai i30 just like to one that Suzy normally drives.

The Avis depot is near the on-ramp to the freeway. The Kwinana Freeway is a great road that heads south along the coast. There wasn't much traffic and it gradually thinned out - especially after we passed Mandura.

For lunch we stopped at Busselton at about 1pm. The main attraction here is the pier which is about 2km long - apparently it's the second longest timber pier in the world. We started by having lunch at the Goose Restaurant.

After lunch I went for a walk on the pier and took photos of the tourist train that runs for the full length of the pier. I only walked about 250m rather than the full length.

Bruce from work is currently competing in a masters hockey competition in the Busselton hockey stadium and so we drove there to see if I could find him. I wandered around the grounds and the grandstand but couldn't see him and so we drove on to Margaret River.

We reached the Margaret River Guesthouse at about 3:30pm and were greeted by Deb who is one of the owners. The B&B has several lounge areas and about 7 or 8 guest rooms. Our room has an ensuite, TV, air conditioner and a small fridge. The WiFi speed is very good.

However, it had nowhere to put my laptop in the room or in any or the lounge areas. Also there was no safe for our passports. It reminded me of guesthouses we've stayed at in the southern highlands near Sydney. Very old fashioned.

For dinner we walked to the Settlers Inn tavern.  It was the closest place to go and Suzy managed to walk there without too much pain. It was noisy but we had a good meal. I got a bottle of Margaret River wine and Suzy had brandy and dry. I took the leftover wine back to the B&B.

The B&B offers complementary port.

No comments:

Post a Comment